Quantcast

Wednesday, May 26, 2010

A Mosque at Ground Zero - Ryan John


When I heard they were considering building a mosque two blocks from Ground Zero, I think at first I just dismissed it. I probably heard it, but I didn’t really look into it because I think I considered it nothing more than an inconsequential, exaggerated headline on some cable news show that was only used to get my attention.
I really couldn’t believe when I read that a New York City community board agreed to build a mosque and cultural learning center in an old Burlington Coat Factory two blocks from Ground Zero. The argument being made by mosque supporters is that a mosque presence reminds everyone that the true nature of Islam, which condemns the 9/11 attacks and fundamentally rejects the actions of the terrorist group that took down the World Trade Center, is of tolerance. Others argue that it is within historic Islamic culture, considered a sign of dominance or victory for Muslims when a mosque is erected at a particular location. I can’t help but agree with them regarding victory and dominance.
The attacks on 9/11 were considered acts from Islamic extremists over our occupancy in their holy land. It just seems far too ironic that a mosque is about to be placed on the American site where these hijackers are considered martyrs by other extremists in their religion. I’d venture to say that the majority of the 3,000+ people that died on 9/11 were Jews and Christians. Maybe a small percentage were Muslim. If America and our capitalistic values are sacred to us, then that location near Ground Zero is sacred ground.
The attack on the towers, and their collapse, was an attack on our national principles, specifically our military and economic ambitions. These hijackers weren’t political extremists. They were religious extremists. The literal translation of Islam is said to be submission. That a New York City community group agreed to place a mosque so close to the World Trade Center cite for any reason is what I call an American submission.

No comments:

Post a Comment