Quantcast

Sunday, February 5, 2012

Mouthing Off for the Mike and Cameras



Pop2Politics, a new show on BlogTalkRadio.com featuring myself as host, has been launched!

Believe me, this wasn’t my idea. Jeff Weiss, who conceived and established “American Currents” more than two years ago, and has maintained it as the power behind the throne (or the techie behind the Mouth -- that would be me), more recently inaugurated a pop culture talk show online called Pop2Reality.

That show, co-hosted by Jeff and Mark Roberts, features a weekly chat about celebrities and pop culture, focusing especially on reality TV shows. But Jeff’s a political junkie as well, and he wanted to get a second show going. He asked me to host it. Since he’s once again doing the heavy lifting from the production end, I’m willing to devote an hour or so to blathering out loud (and making a more conscientious effort to follow national and local political news with that end in view).





For now, the plan is to air the show on Sunday evenings at 10 p.m. Eastern time, 7 p.m. Pacific. If you go to the site this evening, for example, you should be able to catch the show live, and even phone in to comment “on the air” (or at least on the Web in real time as well as for digital posterity), if you’ve a mind to.

With my unusual schedule, I won’t always be available to do the show live on Sunday nights, so in that case we’ll have to tape it in advance. Then Jeff will upload the recording to the site so it can be heard at the appointed time.

This is what happened with our first show, last week, in which I discussed the upcoming Florida primary, Gingrich versus Romney, what Ron Paul and Rick Santorum might have be up to, and what the heck Newt was doing when he tossed out his moon base idea. I also talked about one of my favorite subjects, the corporate media. The show is archived here.

The week before, Jeff and I tested the hardware and he placed a segment of that chat as a preview on the Pop2Reality show a few days later. The content is mostly about my career as a writer and actor, my recent involvement with Occupy Portland (as described on this blog over the past three months), and -- because Jeff likes the story -- my appearance on “Who Wants to be a Millionaire” back in late 2001.

If you’re interested, you can hear me in the middle of the segment of the January 25 Pop2Reality show, roughly between 16:30 and 33:15.

Pop2Politics is an experiment. It’s evolving from scratch and will undoubtedly go through some changes. Both Jeff and I have ideas about things we could try on it, and places we might want to take the show in the future. But it’s also an attempt to get other folks listening and talking and participating in the political process.

Check it out. Call in and participate. Send us your ideas.


*     *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *


In the mean time, in case any of you are coming here for the first time -- perhaps the other direction, from Pop2Politics -- I wanted to direct your attention to some of my video work.

Here’s an arty local car dealership ad in which I appear. We shot this about a year ago and last summer it aired on local television stations.

This is the trailer for a short thriller called “Ambrosia.” Shot over the winter of 2010-2011, the film has not yet been released. I like the sleek and shiny look of this one -- it does NOT look like what you think of when you think of Portland, though all of it was shot here. I play a police sergeant you can glimpse very briefly as part of a group doing the “Law and Order”-style team walk toward the camera in a dark sky tunnel at about 0:50 to 0:53.

For something completely different, here’s a rough clip from “The Obtainer,” a TV fantasy pilot in which I appear early on as an Arab archaeologist.

In this clip, I play a skeptical potential investor in a documentary film about a one-hit wonder band called “The Reekers.” This band really existed -- the writer/director of this project, Tom Guernsey, was a member -- and as I understand it, the eventual film, tentatively titled “The Girl From California,” will be a sort of half-documentary, half-mockumentary. 

To finish off with a chuckle, here’s a series of short videos I shot with Thatsacall.com, a local company run by two former pharmaceutical salesmen who now create humorous shorts for drug company trainings, meetings, and conventions. I’ve become their go-to straight man: sometimes a client physician, but more often a poor sales manager who gets flummoxed and battered by the genially obtuse “supersalesman,” Charles Charles:





No comments:

Post a Comment