Quantcast

Friday, February 15, 2013

Another Year of Wonderful Reading



This is going to be an extra-long blog post because it wasn’t written for this blog. It was my submitted essay for Steve Duin’s annual reading contest. Duin is a columnist for the Oregonian who started hosting an informal “reading contest” some years back, mostly to encourage people to read more and to talk about what they’ve been reading. I’ve entered the contest a number of times, usually place respectably but never near the top. He reported this year’s results at the beginning of this week, and as often happens, I got mentioned in his column.

Here’s the essay I wrote for this past year of reading. . . . 



*   *   *   *   *


When people congratulate me on “doing what you love,” they’re usually talking about the acting and modeling career that has reared its unlikely head over the past several years. But I’d rather be reading. You might say I’ve arranged my professional and private life largely to accommodate my pleasure reading.

I would imagine a majority of the folks who post big numbers in the reading contest are either in school or retired. At 53, I’m a long way from either end of that spectrum, making less income than I have in years, yet happy in my reading habits. I started stage acting in Portland in earnest in 2005, and went free-lance as an actor and wordsmith (writing, editing, proofreading) in the summer of 2009. But I still probably spend more time reading. Everything else is little more than an excuse for that.

Since we haven’t owned a car in more than a decade, my wife and I do a lot of reading on the Portland Streetcar, MAX, and TriMet buses. She doesn’t read while walking across town the way I do, however; I’ve read while walking all over Portland (and in the other cities I’ve lived, from Coos Bay and Roseburg to Boston and Hanau, Germany).

I read while riding or walking to auditions, and on my way home afterwards. I read to kill time waiting for a movie or play to start, and during the intermissions. I read walking to and from the Multnomah County Central Branch library almost every day (which is only three blocks from our apartment, I’m delighted to say). I read every night while flossing and brushing my teeth.

I think I missed the first year or two of the Steve Duin reading contest. Ever since, the good reading years have run between 95 and 120 books, or 32,000 to 40,000 pages. A little extra bulk comes from the plays I read for or during auditions and staged readings, and stories and book excerpts I read to small audiences in my monthly “Story Time for Grownups” series at Grendel’s Coffee House at East 8th and Burnside.

My book and page totals have typically placed me between 12th and 20th place in the contest. Not one of the top generators, perhaps, but I suspect my list may be among the most catholic of all of them. Each year I start out aiming for an average of 10 books a month, or roughly 100 pages a day, and have usually managed to keep up that pace until somewhere between April and August.

2012 turned out to be a record year, though I didn’t realize it could be until late autumn. The unusually dry and sunny months of July, August, and September had encouraged me to sit on the second-floor courtyard of our apartment building and read for a few hours in the afternoons (and make up for it by doing my free-lance writing and editing jobs late into the night).

The record year was partly attributable to the fact that I’ve plunged heavily into police procedurals and mystery series, which make for fast – and, on the average, shorter – books. Nicolas Freeling’s Van Der Valk series, starring a sophisticated Dutch detective in the 1960s and 1970s, and Arnaldur Indriðason’s Detective Erlandur books set in Iceland, were both highly rewarding: leaner and more compelling than Henning Mankell’s at-times too-leisurely Kurt Wallanders.

I also discovered the Norwegian Jo Nesbø (a very gripping storyteller) whose hero is (for Americans) the awkwardly named Harry Hole. Also two series with Irish settings: Bartholomew Gill’s McGarr series and John Brady’s books about Inspector Matthew Minogue. The Dutch writer A.C. Baantjer was a highly prolific mystery novelist whose books go way back (many of the 40-odd DeKok novels published between 1963 and 1992 haven’t even been translated into English) and will provide plenty of enjoyment in the months to come. (Baantjer has been compared to Simenon, whose books I have yet to try.) A trilogy by Tom Rob Smith, Child 44, The Secret Speech, and Agent 6, were particularly bracing. It’s hard to beat late Stalinist Russia for a high-paranoia noir setting!

After hearing about Ed McBain’s 87th Precinct series for so many years, I gave them a try and was very happily surprised at how well they hold up, even if the mid 1950s and early 1960s settings of the first books are inevitably dated at times. So far I’ve read ten, and look forward to the remaining 44. When I started reading them early in 2012, the Multnomah County Library had less than a third of the series on hand – most of them from recent decades. Since few of the early books were in the collection, I had to start by ordering them through interlibrary loan. Fortunately, a Vegas publisher named Thomas & Mercer began issuing a shiny new paperback edition in 2011, and our library has gotten them in, which makes life much easier.

Another contributing factor was that this was the first full year I participated in three different book discussion groups. My all-men’s group was in its eleventh year of existence; in 2011, I had joined two others (mainly because both conveniently meet in my apartment building). Their memberships have been all-female except for me, which has been interesting.

Occasional surveys of American reading habits claim that our fellow citizens average six or eight books a year. Today I read more than four times that many each year that I haven’t even chosen for myself! Somewhere between a fifth to a quarter of the books I read in 2012 were “assigned reading” . . . and I admit I didn’t finish some of them in time or found myself manically whipping through the final pages on the afternoon before the meeting.

But what were the best books I read this year? Nietzsche wrote I think in Ecce Homo that most people only read what they already know. Some of the better books I read this year mostly confirmed my beliefs and prejudices, so they were interesting and reassuring but not really startlingly memorable. Sarah Bakewell’s charming portrait of Montaigne and his writings, How to Live, and Alain De Botton’s urbane, charming Religion for Atheists were examples of this type. David Finkel’s depiction of a U.S. Army battalion in the 2007 Iraq surge, The Good Soldiers, as beautifully and honestly as it is written, told me nothing about the war that I couldn’t have predicted when I marched the streets of downtown Portland against our entering it, back in early 2003. There was hardly anything surprising in Rachel Maddow’s excellent dissection of U.S. military power, Drift. The same is true of Alan Huffman and Michael Rejebian’s exposé of political operatives, We’re With Nobody.

Steven Pinker’s The Better Angels of Our Nature: why violence has declined was excellent but not particularly memorable in the opposite way. It set out to contest a popular assumption I shared with almost everyone else (that ours has been an increasingly violent age). While it managed to dispel this apparent myth quite easily and convincingly, in my opinion, it got bogged down in too much data and details. Jonathan Haidt’s The Righteous Mind: why good people are divided by politics and religion was not exactly eye-opening for me, but it gives an excellent explanation why people’s strong opinions remain mostly impervious to reason or facts. It should be required reading for everyone.

A new 800-plus-page bio of Van Gogh by Steven Naifeh and Gregory White Smith gave me a new appreciation for both the spirituality and the desperation of the artist’s life, with a special treat at the end: the authors mount a fairly persuasive case for contending that Van Gogh was not a suicide but died from a tragic accident that was covered up.

One rarely expects much of celebrity memoirs, so I was not disappointed by the decent ones I read this year, by Diane Keaton, Rob Lowe, and Martin Sheen/Emilio Estevez. D.T. Max’s biography of David Foster Wallace, Every Love Story is a Ghost Story, is very much a first bio – sketchy, lightly critical, somewhat pasted together from interviews and news reports – but I still appreciated it, and it gave me the necessary background and courage to tackle DFW’s Infinite Jest, which is my first major reading project of 2013.




Books I should have read long ago and finally got around to included Mikal Gilmore’s Shot in the Heart, Barbara Kingsolver’s The Poisonwood Bible, Arthur Koestler’s Darkness at Noon – all tremendously worthwhile. Biggest disappointments were Umberto Eco’s The Prague Cemetery (unengaging novel about anti-Semitism and the creation of the bogus Protocols of the Elders of Zion), Avidor, Bremer & Young’s The Madness of Michele Bachmann (recycled and disorganized collection of blog posts), Giroux and Pollock’s The Mouse That Roared (overly academic dissection of the massive and dire influence of the Walt Disney Corp.), Chelsea Handler’s My Horizontal Life (often funny but uneven humor pieces), and various enticing little books for young, hip adults in the style of glossy magazine stories (e.g., Murnighan and Kelly’s Much Ado About Loving, and Arianne Cohen’s The Sex Diaries Project).

I would say the most memorable books I read this year were Neil McGregor’s A History of the World in 100 Objects, Errol Morris’s Believing is Seeing: observations on the mysteries of photography, and Mark Sundeen’s The Man Who Quit Money. In a book accompaniment to a BBC radio(!) series, McGregor chooses objects in the British Museum from throughout human history and describes them, their meaning, their place in human lives at the time, the state of the world then, and so on. The subject matter bridges aesthetics, religion, power, economics, war, artistic techniques, social mores, and just about everything else about human culture. Among many other things that struck me was how many societies and civilizations I had known absolutely nothing about, had not even heard of, that had had a major heyday (often lasting longer than the United States, so far), but that had disappeared almost completely.

Looking at historic photos between the time of the Crimean War (and the site of the supposed Valley of the Shadow of Death from the 23rd Psalm) and Abu Ghraib, Morris discusses perception, history, truth, and myth in often startling ways. His book reminded me of Ernst Gombrich’s equally arresting Art and Illusion, which made a big impression on me back in college. “It is often said that seeing is believing,” Morris writes. “But we do not form our beliefs on the basis of what we see; rather, what we see is often determined by our beliefs. Believing is seeing, not the other way around.”

The Man Who Quit Money relates the life (so far) and thoughts of Daniel Suelo, (née Shellabarger), who has lived entirely off the money grid for more than a decade. He has not taken a dollar for his labor or paid a cent for food or shelter. He also got rid of his passport and driver’s license. Living in a cave on public land in Utah, hitchhiking across the country and staying with friends, dumpster diving, maintaining a blog on computers at public libraries, Suelo must have the smallest carbon footprint of any American. And he’s not some simple crackpot; he thinks hard about everything he chooses to do and not to do. Suelo grew up a fundamentalist Christian, discovered he was gay and had to make peace with his family over that, and traveled to India and Tibet to study Buddhism – among many other adventures. I could never live like Suelo, but his life presents a fascinating perspective on the things we do and take for granted: the values in which we are enmeshed almost without noticing, let alone questioning them.

The author of the book, a journalist and longtime Suelo acquaintance, has done a lot of homework about U.S. consumption and economics; his book turned me on to William Greider’s mammoth history of the Federal Reserve, Secrets of the Temple, which I read next (bit of a slog, too, but very well written and interesting – I read it partly because I’d seen signs at the Occupy Portland camp last year execrating the Fed, which is also – intriguingly – a favorite kicking-boy of many on the American right).



I doubt my totals for the reading contest a year from now will be as high as they were for 2012. But my approach to reading will not change. (People often opine that I must be a “fast” reader, but I respond that I am a “persistent” reader.) I will not get an e-reader; I will continue to check out dozens of books from the library at a time; and I will undoubtedly spend far more hours with my nose in a book than watching TV, viewing movies or plays, and driving an automotive vehicle, altogether.


*   *   *   *   *




Another piece that appeared in The Oregonian, about how my men’s book group chooses what to read





No comments:

Post a Comment