Quantcast

Thursday, April 1, 2010

A Closer Look

Since AmericanCurrents.com debuted last Fall, we've written about various topics – such as Tiger Woods, Sarah Palin, health care reform, Sarah Palin's visor, Barack Obama's presidency, Sarah Palin's opinion of the Family Guy animated television series, the Toyota recalls, Sarah Palin's possible 2012 presidential bid, global warming, and then there was something else about Sarah Palin.

Judging from the comments and emails we receive, some of you agree with us, some of you really disagree with us, and some of you have read things here that have enlightened you and allowed you to look at an issue with a different approach.

Today, we've asked the members of our panel to take a look at the issues they have written about, along with what their co-contributors have written on the same topics, to see if anything they've read here has allowed them to look an issue with a new angle. And yes, one of them is about Sarah Palin.

ROSEANNE FRANGIONE:
It has been well over a year since the inauguration of Barack Obama and I would guess that more has been written about his presidency than any other before him, at least at this stage of the game. I've been a critic of the Obama administration and some of you may go as far as to say that I've been a harsh critic. All I can tell you is that I write from my heart and my heart guides my mind. Upon reflecting upon the past year and two months, I'm willing to say that I may have been a bit too hard on Barack Obama.

Here are a few things that I can honestly say that I like about Barack Obama. First, he looks great with more gray in his hair. It makes him look mature, and more “presidential.” His resume may say “I don't have a lot of experience,” but his hair says, “I look like a president!” Next, he kept his Blackberry. Other presidents before him had to turn in their cellphones and PDA's, but not Barack Obama. He's a busy man on the go with an active wife and two kids. Good for him for being able to text an “lol” or two to Michelle from Air Force One. For as much as it pains me to say this, he can pronounce the word “nuclear,” and that is all I'm going to say on that topic. Even the strongest Republican has to respect a man who can earn a Nobel Prize for an hour's worth of work. Also, as a fan of Bravo's “Real Housewives” series, he and his administration gave the upcoming “Real Housewives of Washington, D.C.” the best storyline ever when they allowed Michaele Salahi, a soon-to-be “Housewife” cast member, along with her hubby Tariq, to crash a state dinner party! Let Bethenny Frankel and her wedding, her baby, and her Skinny Girl Margaritas try to compete with that! Best of all is Obama's Vice President, Joe Biden, who is always there to drop an “F” bomb or to say something totally inappropriate in front of an open microphone or a large group of reporters. He's funny and he makes me laugh, which is something I just can't say about Dick Cheney.

All in all, while I didn't vote for Barack Obama in 2008, I have to admit that while I don't agree with everything he does, he's making his presidency very enjoyable. The Bush administration, safe and stoic as it was, lacked the sense of humor found within the Obama presidency. For that alone, Barack Obama has earned my vote in 2012!


JEFF WEISS:
We at American Currents have spent many hours writing about Sarah Palin. She's consistently remained visible in the news media even though it's been more than a year since John McCain lost his bid for the White House. For the most part, I haven't portrayed Mrs. Palin in a very favorable light. To me, she seemed to be a bit of a dim bulb who was pushed into the spotlight because she fit an image that the GOP needed in the 2008 presidential campaign. I believed that the fact she continued to remain in the public eye was because of own hunger for attention.

However, I've taken a closer look at Sarah Palin and her views, and I was surprised at what I found. For example, she said at a fundraiser back in 2008, “We believe that the best of America is not all in Washington, D.C. ... We believe that the best of America is in these small towns that we get to visit, and in these wonderful little pockets of what I call the real America, being here with all of you hard working very patriotic, um, very, um, pro-America areas of this great nation.” Can anyone not agree that the best of America is actually in America? Think about it. The best of America is not in Canada. It's not in Australia. It is, as Palin stated, right here in the US of A. And who better to be Pro-America than American citizens? When is the last time you saw a North Korean singing the praises of America? That is something you will only see in America, as Sarah Palin wisely stated.

In 2009, when asked if she would be subjected to the same ethics inquiries as president that she faced as the governor of Alaska, Palin responded, “I think on a national level your Department of Law there in the White House would look at some of the things that we've been charged with and automatically throw them out.” Now think about that. People mocked Palin because there is no “Department of Law,” but if you really, really think about it, you can clearly see that Palin was using the example of a non-existent department to say the ethics charges against her were the same as that department – non existent. An answer like that is simply brilliance at work.

Thank you, Sarah Palin. Thank you for enlightening me and bringing this soon to be former Democrat into the loving arms of the GOP. I cannot wait to vote “R” in November. After all, like one Palin supporter posted Facebook recently, “its Rong not to vote for Republicans.”


SASHA SMITH:
The fact that that free health care passed is absolutely ridiculous. Why would our country want to improve the status of all citizens? Our country has always been established by privilege and with everyone getting the opportunity to have health care it puts everyone on the same playing field. It will give over 40 million Americans the opportunity to receive care that they have not been able to receive anymore. I feel as though if all Americans want affordable health care then they need to go out and get it on their own. Of course we all know how expensive health care is so not everyone will be able to get it and that makes sense.

I also want to talk about how this health care bill will affect the drug companies and lobbyist. I mean they no longer will be able to regulate the market with their own prices. What are the drug companies suppose to do now? It will be much harder for them to increase the prices since the government is the one who will be regulating the new health care policy. The health care policy will be taking money away from the rich. How are they going to get richer? I understand that some might find it a human right to have health care but I think it's a benefit and government does not need to get involved. The private citizens of the United States were handling the situation on their own.

In any case, we need to figure out what will happen now and how this is going to affect our tax dollars.

                                                *     *     *     *    *    *    *   

On behalf of Roseanne, Sasha, and all of the AmericanCurrents.com editors and contributors, I'd like to wish everyone a very happy APRIL FOOLS DAY
- Jeff Weiss

1 comment:

  1. LOL....I was about to say....Sash???? Whats gotten into you??! LOL

    ReplyDelete