Quantcast

Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Extended Unemployment Benefits To Lapse Again

The Senate adjourned last week for a two week break without passing an extension for unemployment insurance benefits. Republican Sen. Tom Coburn of Oklahoma blocked a one month short term extension of the unemployment package by insisting that it must be paid for before a vote could be taken. The current unemployment extension package is due to expire on April 5 while Congress is on vacation. The lawmakers return to Washington on April 12.

Many unemployed Americans feel that their leaders in Washington have forgotten them, as this is the second time in a month that lawmakers have let benefits lapse before voting for an extension. Other say that it is time to stop extending unemployment benefits and start to work on building new jobs for the unemployed.

After reading our contributors' opinions on this topic, share your thoughts by leaving a comment.

AUSTIN LEE:
I was laid off from my job last October.  I called a few of my friends to tell them of the news and their initial response was telling.  My Liberal friends immediately said, "Go get on unemployment as soon as possible."  My Conservative friends said, "How can we help you find a job, you have to get back to work."  And getting a job is just what I did.  For me there was no other option.

I live below my means as a part of my life and so when I had to take a significant pay reduction in my next job I ended up being able to sustain my life.  It is high time that people take their medicine.  Stop extending unemployment benefits and start getting people back to work.  When this round expires the very least they can do in Washington is to assure us that if they extend these benefits that they are paid for.

I don't want people to be without work, but unemployment rules as they are now don't encourage anyone to take a job unless it is perfect and continuing to borrow money to provide entitlement benefits doesn't help that problem.  I am proud of Sen. Coburn for finally standing up and saying that we have had enough borrowing. And I predict without another extension of benefits more people will just go and finally get a job.

SCOTT HINKLEY:
I think we should call this what it is: another Republican filibuster. This seems to be an awfully cowardly way to handle an issue that means the difference between food and shelter for our most destitute citizens. I appreciate, though marvel at the seemingly periodic significance, the drive to deal with our budget deficit, but I don't see how we can sit back idly as tax-breaks for the rich last decade are trickling down into losses in benefits for those that never got the tax cuts. I find it one of America's biggest ironies that the party which claims strong Christian values can consistently turn its back on the most needy, and because the rest of America greedily covets the fancy things those leaders have, no one will call their bluff.

My heart extends to all those families whose lives are touched by this callous oversight. Why don't we find another way to pay for all those fancy Washington dinners or stop them until we can. I hope every congress-person gets to interact with a person on the verge of financial collapse, and I hope that person spits in the resort food the congress-person probably doesn't even know the cost of as they funnel it down their fat throats.

NIKKI LORENZINI:
I’m really not sure how to answer this one to be honest with you. I have a job, and luckily have not been fired or laid off from any of my jobs. I've never had to collect unemployment. For me, I could easily say that the people on unemployment should just get a job, but I know its not that easy. There are just no jobs out there.

It's easy to get mad at the government about them letting the unemployment extension lapse. It's really hard to depended on a job for your money, but to rely on the government for it? I’m sure I would feel forgotten too if it caused my checks to lapse. Even though I feel bad that are on unemployment, and I’m sure that there are a lot of people who actually do want to work, and didn’t have a choice in the matter of not working, I really think the government needs to start creating jobs. I’m sure they could create some more jobs somewhere to help stimulate the economy and get people off of unemployment. It’s a shame that there are so many people on it, but the government needs to push people into doing for themselves, and go get a job, and that’s even if the government needs to create them. Sure, it’ll cost more money, but if it involves saving money on unemployment, then I’m sure its worth it.

JEFF WEISS:
There are many ironies regarding this sad situation. First and foremost, the Senate is well aware that the last time they waited for the very last minute to try to pass an unemployment extension package it was held up, the deadline passed, and people in need were cut off (albeit temporarily). When they finally passed a one month temporary extension, what did they do? They again waited until the last day possible to try to pass yet another one month temporary extension – and again it's been held up, the deadline will pass without them being able to vote, and people in need are about to be cut off.

Another irony is that they actually have until the 5th of April to get an unemployment extension package passed – a package that would give a lifeline to people who have lost their jobs and have no other source of income to provide for themselves and their families – but the Senate won't be voting before April 12th because they are on vacation. So, people are forced to suffer because they have lost their jobs, while the people who should be helping them will be on a paid vacation – a paid vacation from jobs that were given to them by the votes of many of the same people who are now unemployed and about to be cut off from their benefits.

Does that seem fair to you?

No comments:

Post a Comment