Quantcast

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

A Weighty Goal: Nikki Lorenzini

This story irritates me on many different levels. One is that Simpson already holds the record for the heaviest mother. Just think of the health concerns regarding that. Think of the complications during pregnancy, running around after a child, taking care of a child. How would that child feel that her mother can’t do the other things mothers do because she weighs over 600 lbs? I do not have any kids, but if I ever have any, I would want to be in my best health so I can take care of my child. Granted, I do like to eat, and I know I should start watching what I eat now if I ever want to be in good health to have any children.

Then, think of her own health. I have extra weight on me (only an extra 30 lbs, but its a lot on my 5’1” frame), and I know how my back feels. I can only feel how her back, her knees feel, how hard it is for her to breath, to walk. Then think of her blood pressure, cholesterol, risking getting diabetes. Think of the amount of meds she will need to take to control the health risks (and the amount of money that will take). And her life span will be shortened (and that many less years she will have with her daughter).

She is already asking for donations from the general public to help her get to this goal. If she can’t afford to eat this way now, what makes her think she can continue to afford to eat this way when she gets to 1000 lbs? Will she continue to have the public pay for her grocery bills then? This bothers me greatly when I see stories of children dying in third world countries. The more I think of this story, the more it angers me. Just the pure selfishness of it angers me. She is taking years away from being with her daughter and husband. She is begging for money for her food which could be given to people who can’t afford to eat for one day. Now I’m made. I see plenty of people working hard to loose weight because they see the health pitfalls of being over weight, and here she is just ignoring all the signs and throwing her health way.

Email Nikki