Quantcast

Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Sea World Tragedy: Scott Hinkley

As an overall believer in treating all creatures with respect, I have always been disgusted by the abusive conditions at marine amusement-parks. I don't think any amount of time is sufficient to not make shows, like the one in which Ms. Brancheau tragically lost her life, acceptable, appropriate, or safe.

I appreciate that Ms. Brancheau chose her job, and that she loved that job, but I think it is awful that we train animals to tolerate such a poor quality of life.
I am pleased that Tilikum will not be destroyed, but I am fairly certain that choice has more to do with money than compassion for the whale or it's victim. Each captive killer whale is estimated to be worth around $2 million, but Tilikum is even more valuable, because he has sired multiple offspring in captivity. Since captive breeding is expensive and unreliable, Tilikum is a bit like a golden goose. In the end, people with continue to disrespect animals, and the shows will go on, but I'm sure water parks will have a more difficult time filling the "splash" rows in their performances.

Email Scott