Quantcast

Tuesday, March 9, 2010

The Oscars: Sasha Smith

The Academy Awards were really wonderful. I wasn't sure who was going to win but I wasn't surprised by who won. After watching a 60 Minutes segment about the Hurt Locker last week it came upon me that this was a unique film. I knew it was going to be a winner in some form or fashion. Hurt Locker being a big winner, now that I didn't see coming. Who knew they were going to sweep so many awards but well deserved. I definitely plan on watching the film as soon as I get the chance.

There are so many stories within this film. Kathryn Bigelow has an amazing personal story. I didn't realize that a woman director has never won the Best Picture award before. To win the award the night before International Women's Day (March 8) is symbolic in itself. On a gossip note, Ms. Bigelow was formerly married to James Cameron, director of Avatar, who was also nominated for Best Picture is always a good tabloid story. All in all, I will be watching the film.

My film interest was also sparked by some of the foreign films like Cove. I'm not a big animal rights activist but it certainly looks like a great story. Who would want to kill dolphins? I think the scene of the beach water being turned blood red by all the dolphins being killed peaked my curiosity. I'm sure PETA was invested in supporting that film. I'll most certainly catch it on Netflix.

All in all, it was a really nice program and congrats to all the winners. It seemed like everyone was genuinely happy for everyone.

Email Sasha
Follow Sasha on Twitter!