Quantcast

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

A Weighty Goal: Scott Hinkley

Looking at Ms. Simpson, which I will admit I find a difficult task in itself, she seems to me to represent an important rising (or should we say expanding) problem in America. Do we have the right to be medically obese? I wish the answer were no, but I think it is fairly certain that many in this country feel otherwise. Supporters of "fat-rights" argue that they shouldn't be discriminated against for their size. I feel that this is a misguided view, since I don't see their discrimination as being rooted in their size, but is instead based in their demonstrations of gluttonous behavior and a lack of self-disciplining. I would never support limiting an individual's rights based on their weight, no more than for a person's height, or the quality of their voice, or the number of tattoo's they have, but I believe we are defined by our actions and choices.

I find Ms. Simpson's decision to consume enough food for 5 other people to be a disgusting demonstration of her values. I think is is a disappointment that people can support her in her values while disparaging other lifestyles openly and heartlessly. When will our American egotism subside? If we had to go to war right now, 34% of Americans would struggle to rise from their seats, and would completely incapable of defending themselves, or the nation they claim is so great. Don't tread on me? Just don't sit on me.

Email Scott