Quantcast

Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Still Hoping for Change - Jeff Weiss



Barack Obama's 2008 presidential campaign focused on two words: "hope" and "change."  To a country filled with citizens who saw the nation's economy burn in the background of two wars while the sitting president fiddled, "hope" and "change" sounded great.

Now, as the two year anniversary of Obama's historic election win approaches, very few Americans have seen improvement.  The stock market didn't crash, but the housing market is still faltering, unemployment rates are still sky-high, and many people are running out of hope.  We have been told many times that the recession is over, but no one is quite sure when the recovery will trickle down to us regular folks.  I can agree with how the woman in the above video feels.  I supported Barack Obama in 2008.  I volunteered for his campaign.  I voted for him.  And I spent a good part the last year and a half defending him to others who just don't see enough results.

It's quite possible that - even though things aren't great now - they could easily have been worse if Barack Obama was not the President of the United States.  But, it is very hard to try to ask people to imagine how much worse things could be, when they find themselves worse off now than before Election Day of 2008.  I still support President Obama and as of now he will have my vote in 2012, but for his sake as much as everyone else's, I hope he will have a stronger list of accomplishments by the time he starts campaigning.

No comments:

Post a Comment