Quantcast

Saturday, November 20, 2010

Starting a New Journey - Nikki Lorenzini



Last Tuesday I joined Weight Watchers. Yes, I joined the many people who have vowed to lose weight. However, I am not one of the normal ones, at least I don’t think. I actually joined the day after I came back from my cousins wedding in New Orleans, and I was one of the bridesmaids (don’t most people want to lose it before?). I also made a point to sign up before the holidays. My reasoning being, if I can do it during, then I can definitely do it after.
My goal: to lose 55 pounds. Crazy you might say. As you look at my picture, you might not think I don’t need to lose that much. If I can be so honest, my one pet peeve is people saying, “You don’t need to lose that much weight,” or, “You’re not that heavy.”  Yes, you might not think that, but I wear clothes to hide the extra pudge. However, you are not the one walking around with an extra 55 pounds, and being out of breath when you walk up a flight of stairs, with your legs feeling like jello. These 55 pounds might not seem too much in the sphere of things, but it is a lot to me. I am 27 years old. Young compared to most, old when I’m talking to my Sunday school kids. I would like to say that I want to lose this weight for vanity sake, but I am confident in the way I look. I also haven’t dated in 4 years, so the hope of picking up a man with my new, skinny looks isn’t my top priority.

So vanity aside, I need to do this for my health. 

However, being only 27 years old, I know that I need to get this weight problem kicked. It might only be 55 pounds, but I don’t want it to eventually be a 100+ pounds. I remember being in grade school and shocked when I got in the 100+ range. I really don’t want to go in the 200+ pound range. I am only 5’1”, so imagine that on my tiny frame. I know that in the years to come, it will get increasingly hard to lose this weight. Well, that is what I have everyone who is older than me telling me. I know the side effects: diabetes, problems conceiving, high blood pressure, etc. I definitely do not want my future plagued with medicine.
This is coming from the person who absolutely loves eating, cooking, and baking, and also forgetting I have a gym membership. I always thought that the people who were in the gym for hours (or at least seemed for hours), were crazy muscle heads. I’m realizing that I don’t have to spend hours on end in the gym. I live in the suburbs where I can easily go for a walk, or go to the park and talk a walk.  Start with the minimal and work myself up to something more, like running. Well, I hope to start running one day. 

Every week I hope to have an updated blog with how I am doing. So far to date, in the week I have been doing it, I have lost 10 pounds. Not too bad for someone who loves food. 

2 comments:

  1. Best wishes and good luck with that, Nikki. We're rooting for ya.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can do it!

    ReplyDelete