Quantcast

Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Change is Good - Jeff Weiss

Last week, I shared with you about how I joined Weight Watchers.  I joined the week the new "PointsPlus" system was unveiled, and I found it to be rather easy to follow.  Apparently others didn't feel the same way.

I knew I had to have lost a pound or two because I could feel it in my clothes - not to mention that I followed the plan to a tee.  It had to have worked, right? I went to the meeting, stepped on the scale and was told that I had lost 5.8 pounds.  I was happy, and felt a sense of an accomplishment.  I stayed for the meeting, where the Weight Watchers leader asked the group what they thought of the new point system as opposed to the old point system. I couldn't answer the question as I hadn't been on the old system, but I was curious about what the others thought. Oddly, no one answered the leader's question.  Next, she asked if anyone saw a change in their meal planning with the new program.  Again, no one replied, but I think I heard a cricket chirping in the distance.  Then the leader realized what I had already figured out: the members who had previously used the old points system didn't switch over to the new system when following the plan at home.  Instead, they continued to use the old formula.

At this point, the leader began to politely explain that she understands when people are reluctant to change, and that it took her a few weeks to adapt to the new program (Weight Watchers employees have been testing the new point system for a few months).  Most of the members explained that they are too busy this time of year to learn something brand new.  Finally, a member said she followed the new system reported that she felt more satisfied than she had previously.  I stated that I didn't have any problems following the plan, as I was able to check points values from my smart phone.  Apparently we were the only two in the meeting who had used the new system. 

The meeting drew to a close and the leader asked if anyone had anything to celebrate (Weight Watchers' polite way of asking if anyone has lost any weight), and the only two members that lost weight last week were the lady who felt satisfied on the new plan and myself.  Suddenly, the other members started opening their pocket guides to check out the PointsPlus plan.  Change isn't always easy, but it can be good.

1 comment:

  1. I actually like the new points plus system. I'm having a bit of a harder time with it than the old system, but heck, I've lost more weight with it than the old system. So I'm all for it.

    Congrats on the weight you've lost so far!

    ReplyDelete