Quantcast

Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Did the Health Care Summit Accomplish Anything? Scott Hinkley

I think the primary thing accomplished in the latest health care summit was the continued stand by the Presidential administration against the continued resistance from the Republican constituency of the legislative branch. As far as I can tell, the Republicans are vowing to do everything in their power to deny the President any good press, while at the same time trying to aggravate Obama's staff to the point where the President will abandon his bi-partisan efforts and generate some truly bad press without their help. I am repeatedly pleased by Obama's attempts to push against the small-minded governing to which we have long grown accustomed, but I am equally saddened by the same small-mindedness within the Democratic party (not that I held them in any higher esteem previously). I think it is the Senators' personal prides which are playing perfectly into the GOPs media tactics.

As a result of these Democrats, I think Obama's attempts are being driven short of their full potential. I don't see how he could have passed up on the summit, but I understand why so many people are left wondering what the point is. Unfortunately, I feel there is very little to be done about the inequality between stalling tactics and actual progress. It is easy to stop somebody else, but very hard to go in any direction of your own.

Email Scott