Quantcast

Thursday, March 11, 2010

Sasha Rates The Red Carpet

The Oscars were the zenith of the red carpet for fashion award the 2010 award season. It was refreshing to finally see dresses that fit the occasion and bodies of all shapes and sizes looking equally amazing. This awards season has had it's up and downs but finally I think we have some great fashion to talk about. So let's get right to it.

My most underdeveloped fashion eye is the male Tuxedo. I tend to think all men look great in a tux but what I have learned this award season is that it's all about the right fit of the shirt.

Best Male Dress Nominees:
George Clooney
Matt Damon
Tom Ford
Ryan Reynolds

Winner- Tom Ford (wearing Tom Ford) - Now I know what you are thinking. It's unfair to pick a fashion designer wearing his own tux but the truth of the matter is he looked the best. If I had any doubts about what a tux should look like on a man, Tom Ford has cleared all of that up.

Loser- Robert Downey Jr.- I wasn't feeling anything, the glasses, the blue bow tie and especially the sneakers. His look wasn't right at all. Even if he was at the Grammy's I would have voted him worst dress. It was just all wrong. He needs a stylist and I'm available.

Best Thick Chick Nominees:
Mariah Carey (Yes she is a thick chick)
Queen Latifah
Mo'Nique
Oprah Winfrey

Winner - Queen Latifah in Badley Mischka. She's certainly looks like a cover girl here. I'm so proud of her to represent for the big girls. Big is beautiful, even if big is always trying to be small. She gave the skinny girls a run for their money this evening. Her skin is glowing and the beaded shoulder was the right touch for her. She's been doing a great job this award season. If I can still remember her People's Choice Award dress than her stylist is doing their job.

All the thick chicks represented well and there is not going to be a loser in this category this year.

Best Actress in a Supporting Role Gown:
Penelope Cruz
Vera Farmiga
Maggie Gllyenhaal
Anna Kendrick
Mo'Nique

Winner- Vera Farmiga in Marchesa..Yes.. her dress was bold, daring and you almost wanted to hate it but you couldn't. The color was perfect on her skin and the structure was outstanding. If Cameron Diaz had has this dress on it wouldn't have worked but it most certainly did for me. Trust me.. I reviewed this dress over and over and it's a winner.

Loser - This one is very obvious to me: Maggie Gyllenhaal. Tie die does not equal Oscars.

Best Dressed Over 40
Kathryn Bigelow
Meryl Streep
Signorney Weaver

Winner - Meryl Streep in Chris March- I'm really beginning to love white on the red carpet. Now, we usually don't expect much from Ms. Streep but this might be as good as it gets so we will take it. Plus, we always want to support a Project Runway designer. They are the best!

Loser - Sarah Jessica Parker - I can't even believe my fingers are typing this but we expect so much more from our Sex and The City star. She's suppose to be a fashion icon and role model. It was just a miss for her and I guess being a new mom of twins has it's downfall on your personal style. On the upside of things. Her jewelery was my favorite of the night. She wins Best Accessories.

Best Dressed Under 30
Miley Cyrus
Gabourey Sidibe
Kristen Stewart
Vanessa Hudgens (Grammy after party dress)

Winner- Miley Cyrus in Jenny Peckham was a huge surprise for me. " I throw my hands up" on this dress. Now other fashion critique had  a lot to say about it but I l-o-v-e-s it on her and as we say "If it looks good on you."

Most Disappointing Dress- Zoe Saldana in Givenchy. I loved the colors. I'm going gaga over the shoes but the bottom ruffles I couldn't get over. I've tried looking the dress in different angles and tried to be objective but I just couldn't. In the words of Khole Kardshian "not every dress is suppose to be worn straight off the runway." This is a perfect example. I still plan on catching Zoe on the cover of Essence magazine April issue though. She's still fab in my eyes.


Overall Best Dressed- Sandra Bullock
in Christian Dior. It was really hard I'm not going to lie. J.Lo gave her a run for her money but Sandra was just glowing and hence the glow and shimmer coming off her dress. And a big congrats to her win. I hope she enjoyed the cheeseburger she wanted to eat after the show.

I'd love to hear who you think was best and worst dressed. Let me know by leaving a comment.

Email Sasha
Follow Sasha on Twitter!




No comments:

Post a Comment