Quantcast

Friday, March 19, 2010

The Palin Factor: Ryan John

I’m curious to see just how far media hype can take someone.  I think we’re fascinated with Palin for the reason Jeff mentioned when setting up this topic for discussion.  She was a governor, yet a nationally unknown politician who was launched on the stage to compliment an old, seemingly out of touch, non charismatic, non attractive, republican male.  Although she did have strong conservative roots and a political resume to be proud of as governor of Alaska, she wasn’t picked for her political clout or because she’d be a competent number 2 if the president can’t finish his term.  She was picked to give the McCain camp a fighting chance in 2008.  At least that what I hope. 
 
I can’t imagine she was picked as VP to lead the Republican Party in future years.  I have to say that although I say less than flattering things about her whenever given the bloggertunity, the bottom line is that I would be humbled and very gracious to be in her presence.  I’d probably find her attractive, and even more so in person, because of the confidence I’m sure she exudes.  But, I’m thinking big picture here. I think Palin would be a perfect fit for a Press Secretary, but please not president.  Didn’t she want to be a sports broadcaster when she was younger anyway? 
 
Bush, like Palin certainly wasn’t known for his intellectual prowess.  But, he spoke cowboy and there something’s all American and comforting about that.  Bush wasn’t so concerned about appealing to the universal language of intelligence as much as he was with scaring people away from messing with America. It doesn’t take a great vocabulary to get that message across. 
 
I'm not like Chris Matthews.  I don’t get chills up my leg after an Obama speech. But every time, without fail, I YouTube Bush at ground zero with his bullhorn telling the firemen and rescue workers that pretty soon, that the people who knocked down these buildings will hear all of us, I get chills. In an unscripted moment of candor as firemen chanted “U.S.A” and “go get me George”, he delivered probably the most impactful couple of sentences I’ve ever heard from a president in my time.  For a couple minutes I forget any 9/11 conspiracy theories.  Why is that relevant?  Bush spoke common man and tough while Obama speaks intelligent, but apologetic. Both have their purposes.  That power of perception just doesn’t work in Palin's favor if she has presidential ambition. 
 
However, that doesn’t mean she can’t make the crossover to celebrity as a politician first.  Most of Hollywood gets famous before they become liberal activists.  Perhaps Palin will just do it the other way around.