Quantcast

Tuesday, March 9, 2010

The Oscars: Scott Hinkley

Last night, almost all the Oscars went to the expected, and in my opinion deserved, favorites. There were almost no nail-biter moments for me, but there was one lingering air of suspense which kept me watching until the end. Could James Cameron buy a big Oscar? If last night is any indication, the Academy's reply was a strong 'no'. The winners last night seemed to be chosen for their personal depth, as much as their professional capacity, which I think it is an important comment on the complex relationships between art and entertainment.

The technical and commercial refinements are necessary, but they are insufficient to drive academy members to overlook poor storytelling. This is not always the case. I can think of many best picture awards given with less regard for social context, but I am fairly certain that with the expansive efforts of celebrities to moonlight as political activists, it appears that conscientious voting is back in vogue.

Email Scott