Quantcast

Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Cancer Confusion: David Loftus

First off, let’s remember and accept that some percentage of lives is always going to be at risk. No amount of screening and preventive practices is going to stop all incidence of unforeseen and unfortunately mortal cancers.

I don’t know the science or the statistics. But my common sense tells me that while, yes, earlier and more frequent tests probably saved lives in the past, the new guidelines are probably adequate for the population in general, and will certainly save the health system some money. Also, if people are not required or at least advised to get tested sooner and more often in their lives, many of them will not do it; in fact, I’m sure a significant number didn’t start as soon and go as often as they were supposed to in the past, nor will they under the new guidelines, and that’s their risk of potential loss.

At the same time, I doubt any doctor’s going to try to prevent women from getting themselves tested more often, or earlier. A few undoubtedly will, and I say more power to them. That’s what this is all about, from the patient’s perspective: taking more responsibility for being informed and choosing how to care for oneself. Don’t tell me the folks who are complaining about these newer, looser guidelines are saying we should have MORE government regulation and health care expense?