Quantcast

Saturday, November 28, 2009

Week in Review: Patrick Dresslar

Health Care Reform

While it is encouraging to see the Senate Democrats get the votes to defeat any potential Republican filibuster on bringing the health care debate to the floor, I am not so convinced that the Dems will get the 60 to prevent a filibuster on that actual bill.  They are going to have to offer many concessions, and the far-left wing of the party, headed by Nancy Pelosi, seem stubborn on many issues (e.g., federal dollars for abortions).  While I am for health care reform, with the ultimate goal being an American form of universal health care, I am not confident that the far-left and far-right wings of the two major parties are going to come to a consensus to properly serve the American people by signing a health care reform bill into law this year. 

I do not have the exact numbers, but I believe that the majority of Americans want some form of reform and fast for a broken system.  There is a mandate for reform, but with divisive issues such as the infamous public option or federally funded abortions I cannot see the Democrats getting the necessary 60 to force some bill to President Obama's desk.  I pray that something gets passed, but in the polarized Washington we have, Democrats are going to have to concede some ground to accomplish their end goals.  Getting something done is more important than getting it all done in one fell swoop.  As the months unfold, I'll hope for the best while I prepare for the worst.

Email Patrick