Quantcast

Friday, November 20, 2009

Sarah Palin vs. Newsweek: Shaun Hautly

Wow. When I read about this I started googling for the cover, expecting to find some racy sex scandal picture that would make me close my laptop if my girlfriend walked by. Instead I found a woman in shorts and a jacket. Shorts that you'd wear to run in. Unless people expect her to run in Basketball shorts or pants, these seem pretty standard. This brings me to realize two things about the whole ordeal: 1) The Media is more bored than I thought, and 2) Come to think of it, I like Sarah Palin.

Sarah Palin has made the cover of Newsweek before. It was a nice close up of her face. I did a google search for "Newsweek Covers" and found that only one had a full body. It was two men in suits back to back. All the other covers only showed someone from the shoulders up, sometimes the waist. It seems like a low, cheap move to use something like this for the old "any publicity is good publicity" scheme. This is not journalism. This is tabloidism. I wish the whole thing would have been ignored so Newsweek wouldn't see the boost in traffic they no doubt have revived. I know that writing about it now certainly doesn't help.

However, as I keep reading more and more about how much Sarah Palin is a nuisance, I continue to gain a lot of respect for her. She got yanked from her quiet corner of the country into the bright lights of media scouring and smearing. She stayed strong and proud. She angered a passionate half-country of Obama supporters just by rivaling the diversity she'd bring to the White House. She is a good looking woman in great shape. Any other woman in her shoes would not hesitate to wear shorts in an article about running. Her daughter screwed up her election by becoming pregnant, she handled it well as a candidate and a mother. Her world was turned upside down and she was asked to do it by the party she served and believed in. The fact that she's still in this country, sharing opinions and concerns is amazing. If this was a company instead of a country, anyone else would have quit a long time ago. I voted for Obama. I didn't think she was right to run the country, but not because she was poison. Credit given where credit is due.

Email Shaun