Quantcast

Sunday, November 29, 2009

Week in Review - Sunday; Nikki Lorenzini

Cancer Confusion

When I heard about the new cancer screening guidelines, it actually scared the crap out of me. For me, the month of November was a month of doctors appointments, and I can't imagine getting some of this stuff only checked only every other year. I honestly believe that some things really need to be checked every year. I am starting to believe that the insurance companies are starting to get even greedier and only pay out as minimal as possible. But, that is a whole other story.

But seriously, why would anyone want to put their health in their own hands like this? I personally never have faced any type of cancer, but I appreciate the fact of knowing that I am checked to see if I have anything. Plus, I read that women who are more sexually active need to have a pap test every year due to a higher chance of STDs. Why would women want to take those chances health wise ?

I also think that it is ironic that they only did this for women for things that they need to have examined every year, but what about men? Why did they only do this study for the women to see if they need all their examinations? Why would it be okay for women to give up some health issues when it is okay for the men to get all their parts checked every year? I think these new recommendations are just ridiculous and do not hold the patients' best intentions in mind and the insurance companies really need to be challenged.

Email Nikki