Quantcast

Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Cancer Confusion: Sasha Smith

Cancer is something that I take very seriously. My biological father died of cancer and several women in my family have breast cancer. I must say that I was emotionally upset that the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologist released these new guidelines saying that women don't need to get cervical cancer screenings and breast cancer screenings on a regular basis. Is this really responsible? Americans already are under treated and being diagnosed at late rates. Is it really responsible for medical professionals to be telling this information to irresponsible people as it is. Now, I don't want to call all Americans irresponsible but there are so many things against us right now including the cost of medical treatment.

Our healthcare system is not in a place where we can tell the country that women no longer need to get yearly screenings. We still have 1 in 4 young women in college are still getting cervical cancer. We are now having a serge of HPV (cancer causing Sexually Transmitted Infection.) Have we forgotten there is no cure for cancer? If men could get cervical cancer and breast cancer (at the same rate as women get it,) would we be telling them to not get screenings that could save their lives? I just find it appalling that they are talking about mammograms and pap smears not being effective on the morning shows this week. I find it even more appalling that people say something is not working but then do not offer up any solution.  This is a very confusing message. I urge all women to continue to see their doctors on a yearly basis. 

For those of you that know me, I'm a conspiracy theorist and I wonder how the timing of this announcement. I mean really can we call this a coincidence. I guess the next thing that will be announced is that insurance companies won't cover yearly exams and will be giving consumers an extra charge if they want to try to save their lives a year earlier. 

Email Sasha