Quantcast

Thursday, January 21, 2010

MTV's Jersey Shore Controvery: Roseanne Frangione

It never ceases to amaze me the lengths people will go to be on television. If you flip though the channels, you will find an endless array of “reality” programs that offer nothing that resembles the reality of my life or the lives of anyone I've ever encountered. MTV has struck ratings gold with The Jersey Shore, and managed to hit the lowest levels of television I have ever seen.

Week after week, the rag-tag cast of characters manage to insult, belittle, and offend each other and any one that comes into their orbit. They constantly refer to each other as “guidos” and “guidettes” and other demeaning terms. I find it hard to believe that MTV could assemble that many like-minded individuals for one television show. I image there has to be some “scripting” involved to spur the “cast” into making offensive comments in the desperate hope that the show would become a hot topic at the water cooler. Unfortunately, they have succeeded.

I would hope that no one who watches this program would ever find anything redeeming about any of the cast members and would never attempt to emulate any of them in any way. I don't agree that New Jersey politicians should be able to force the cancellation of television program, but I also think this show should never have made it to the airwaves.

Email Roseanne