Quantcast

Wednesday, January 20, 2010

President Obama - One Year Later: Jeff Weiss

Change came to America with the Obama presidency. It came in many ways, shapes, and forms. I've seen a lot of change for the better, as I believe that Barack Obama is committed to stabilizing the economic nightmare that he inherited, while trying to create a balanced health care plan that would allow every American citizen – regardless of their age, ethnicity, and financial status – has the right to an affordable and effective health care plan. I've seen change for the worst, in the form of the thickest, most unwavering partisanship I've ever witnessed in my life. Last summer, Senator Jim DeMint (R,SC) said “If we're able to stop Obama on this (health care reform) it will be his Waterloo. It will break him.” That tells me that many elected Republicans are more interested in the failure of a Democratic President than ensuring the people who vote for them have affordable health insurance.

Personally, I've seen change in the town where I live. Road work that had been necessary for years is finally being done as a result of President Obama's American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009. On a more personal level, after watching an interview with the President and Mrs. Obama where they spoke of volunteerism, I began volunteering at my church's food bank. I've also become more interested in local politics. I believe the only way to truly make a change for the better is for everyone to get involved and work toward mutual goals. Success happens when the focus is on progress before politics.

Email Jeff