Quantcast

Wednesday, December 9, 2009

The ABCs of Adam Lambert: David Loftus

Once again I’m going to disclose my pop cultural ignorance (this time by stating that I have no idea who Adam Lambert is) and my elitism (by adding that I don’t care to find out). Undoubtedly, he’s a flavor-of-the-month singer who, if he has anything of substance and quality to offer (and just hearing that he came to prominence on American Idol strongly implies to me that he doesn’t), will turn up again in years to come, from other sources, for better reasons … and I am happy to wait until then to become acquainted with his work.

I’m fairly certain that Mr. Lambert knowingly sought to make eyebrows rise and jaws drop; that ABC reacted just as it is supposed to (with pretended outrage, even though almost no one at the network could care less about his display, whatever it was, but they have to reassure the most conservative segment of their audience that they “never would have allowed this to happen if they had known in advance…”) and is now trying to placate his fans by switching directions; that anyone who complained is living out his or her script as well, and if people truly feel outraged about such “entertainment,” then they should take a more active role in deciding what to watch and what to turn off, and find something better to do with their time -- both in terms of entertainment and things to get upset about.

It’s all a lot of preposterous triviality on the part of folks who are taking themselves way too seriously -- what a more worthwhile entertainer called “Much Ado About Nothing.”