Quantcast

Monday, December 21, 2009

Tweeting Mom Controversy: Jeff Weiss

Like it or not, we live in an electronic society. Many people use sites like Facebook and MySpace to update their friends as to what is going on in their lives. People often find it easier to Tweet a message to a friend or a group of friends via Twitter as opposed to calling or texting. Even if this is not your cup of tea, it's not about to change any time soon.

Shellie Ross is a noted “mommy blogger.” She writes about her life and her children. She has a following of many who share a lot in common with her. Is it odd that she took to the internet to inform people – many of which she's never met – of something so personal as the loss of her child? I admit that when I first heard of this, it struck me as being strange. But then I thought about my life. Obviously I am a blogger. Since American Currents launched last month, I've come to work closely with the other bloggers on this site. I've never met any of them – but I've grown to know a lot about each of them through daily communication via the internet.

When tragedy struck, Shellie Ross went to Twitter because it felt right for her. And if by sharing her emotions with others (either personally or electronically) helped her, then who are we to judge?

Email Jeff