Quantcast

Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Houston's Mayoral Election: Ryan John

I don't know about other openly gay politicians, but it seems like the city of Houston should be ready for mayor-elect Annise Parker to take office in 2010.  My knowledge of Houston politics is minimal, and my interest in Annise Parker has only recently been explored, but she appears to have a clean and accomplished political resume I'd be attracted to.  And I have to say, with the recent sexual dishonesty from politicians like Larry Craig or Jim McGreevey, it's refreshing to see someone so open about something they know could potentially jeopardize their political career. 
 
Although Dallas is a relatively friendly city for gay-politicians, with an openly gay Dallas county chief of police, campaign viability for Parker was definitely an issue.  Many people thought contributions to the campaign were a waste because a lesbian couldn't win mayor of Houston. However, with the well deserved assistance from activists groups, Parkers candidacy was given the credibility it deserved to ultimately win.  As mayor elect, she seems eager to take on the problems of the city accordingly, without paying special attention to gay rights, which doesn't appear to be too high on the Houston political to-do list.
 
I'm probably in the minority when I say this, but in the beginning of the 2008 Presidential campaign I didn't think a young, black, freshman senator with a name like that could beat out the Clinton machine or a guys whose nickname was "Americas Mayor."  Everyday I was proved wrong as his campaign unfolded perfectly into one of the most exciting and in spring candidates possibly ever. So, can an openly gay person, man or woman, become president in my lifetime?  The answer is Yes.  If that person is capable of leading a party into office, a well ran campaign can absolutely accomplish that. 
 
Before, when people would constantly exclaim the historical racial significance of such things like the elections of Obama, Sotomayor and now Parker, I would criticize the celebration and assumed it advanced a segregated mentality.  Then, I reminded myself how proud I get when I see someone I admire who shares the same background I do.  It is really inspiring.  Plus, I'm so sick of people masquerading onto the public stage while benefiting from their perceived persona and hiding their true selves. 

All this pollution of character in public office leads me to respect someone whose openness may offend.  Authenticity should be the least we owe people.