Quantcast

Wednesday, December 9, 2009

The ABCs of Adam Lambert: Scott Hinkley

I had the strange experience of watching the AMAs with all the outrageous parts already edited out, so it is hard for me to guess what my reaction would have been had I seen it live and not on YouTube. I didn't really have a problem with Adam's "inappropriate" behavior, but I understand why ABC had to react so strongly to it. I don't think the network actually took on an "anti-Lambert" position, I think they just needed to be clear who wears the pants. ABC stands to have their image defined by almost anything that she broadcast, so lewd gestures are more than poor taste, it raises questions about the network, since most audience members would naturally assume that there would not be unexpected parts of the show.

I think ABC, and it's parent Disney, is in a difficult position in terms of values. On the one hand, they embrace and support many progressive causes, and on the other, a major contingency of there American audience is religious and conservative. I think that if Adam wants to be a star, he is right to feel that he needs to establish his identity, but for his sake, I think he should make nice with the money until he has some of his own. Then he can be as George Michael as he wants.

Email Scott