Quantcast

Sunday, December 20, 2009

Week in Review - Sunday: Nikki Lorenzini

Houston's Mayoral Election

I am a bit confused when I see when things like this make the headlines. Don’t get me wrong, I am happy that we are finally moving into the 21st century and are more open to vote in people that aren’t straight, old, white men. But why must people’s sexual orientation, race, or sex be the main focal point of the election? Why can’t it be like it was before when people actually concentrated on their political stances?

I researched Annise Parker. I found out that she is a second generation Houstonian and went to Rice University. She spent 20 years working in the Oil and Gas industry, co-owned a bookstore for 10 years, and spent fifteen years at a bookkeeping and income tax company. She won several awards and has been on several community service boards. Her and her partner have been together since 1990 and they have two children.

I am waiting for the day when we focus on the whole person as a candidate instead of just one aspect of their life. If we don’t, we’ll eventually mess everything up.

Email Nikki