Quantcast

Thursday, December 17, 2009

Holidays and the Recession: Ryan John

I’d definitely say I’m cutting back this year.  Now for the people who know me, they would agree that “cutting back” is impossible.  Not because I’m an uncontrollable spender; but because I can't really take it any farther back. I’ve always been relatively frugal, or as I like to say, “fiscally conservative.”
 
I’d say last year I wastefully spent more money than I ever have.  By wasteful I mean spending pretty liberally at bars and restaurants.  However, there usually wasn’t a guilt free morning to follow.  But, overall the recession has definitely made me reconsider even the simplest form of what I consider wasteful spending.  I’m really concerned about the future of our country’s economy and unfortunately I don’t really see much economic hope in the near future.  I’m going back to the same hoarding mentality I had in the college time of my life when I could only work part time and didn’t have much of a savings cushion.
 
Plus, I’m really not feeling Christmas in the air like I used to. I really can’t believe it’s only about a week away.  I’m not sure if I’m the only one who feels like this either. I think the recession has definitely put some burden on the minds of the American people.  Do we feel guilty celebrating when Obama just announced 30,000 troops are going to Afghanistan?  Is all this negative media concerning the war and economy creating an American psyche less capable of enjoying the innocence and magic of the Holiday Season?  For me, yes it has.