Quantcast

Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Visor-Gate: Jeff Weiss

Picture it: You are the losing vice presidential candidate in an election where either campaign would make history by winning. Over a year later you are still making headlines, wrote a bestselling book, and are in the midst of a national book tour that includes an appearance on The Oprah Winfrey Show. You are on vacation and want to be incognito, so you... wear one of your old campaign visors with your former running mate's name scratched out in black ink?

The rumors of a rift between Palin and former running mate John McCain have been around since the day after the 2008 election. While neither admits it, I doubt they are friends and I wouldn't be surprised if each think the other is the reason they are not in the White House today. I can't imagine anyone believes that Sarah Palin – one of the most publicized people in recent history – would not be recognized by simply putting a visor on her head. At the same time, I don't think crossing out McCain's name on the visor was done with malice intent. I think the action was, as most of the things we see coming from the Palin camp, just not thought out very well.

I'd love to write more on this, but there are only a few days left before Christmas and I need to finish shopping. The only problem is that every time I go to the mall, I always run into people I know and today I just don't have time to stop and talk. I have an idea. I'll put a visor on before I go to the mall. No one will recognize me!

Email Jeff