Quantcast

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Abolishing "Don't Ask Don't Tell": Austin Lee

I don't care if gays serve in the military, however, I do wonder why they would openly serve.  It seems to me that it would be inviting trouble.  In the macho world of the military I would think that a gay man would rather not let his sexual preference be known.  If I were a gay man in the military I would be worried about the comments I would get the moment my gaze in the shower drifted anywhere south of the ceiling.  It just doesn't seem like it would be worth it.

If Barack Obama thinks that his hardcore stand to end "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" is going to provide him enough political cover to erase the gay communities unhappiness with his attitudes toward gay marriage, he has another thing coming to him.  I would bet even money that the percentage of gays in the military is far below the percentage of Americans as a whole in the military.  This seems to be little more than a political sleight of hand to distract the conservatives from the health-care debate.

If you decide to come out of the closet and declare that you are openly gay and serving in the military, please be aware that everyone might not be as excited about it as you are.  In fact, I bet a large number of military men would rather you stay in the closet; rules or no rules.  For some of them its just better if they don't know.

Email Austin
Follow Austin on Twitter!