Quantcast

Monday, February 22, 2010

Spy School: Sasha Smith

 My professional degree is in social work not a the law. I have no idea what or who are in legal rights in this case. Morally, it is common sense for the school to notify the students and the parents of what the school's rights are when issuing the school laptops. I have a cell phone that my employer pays a part of. I could not image my horror if I found out that they were taping my phone and listening to all my conversations. The phone naturally serves as my work phone but personal phone. I would be highly upset and consider a law myself if the same thing happened to me.

In this day age, technology has taken over and we must continue to carve the way to still maintain citizen's personal rights and privacy. I am all for making strides in technology but there have been too many instances where it crosses the line. If the school suspected that the student was taking some type of "pill," they should have talked to his parents and maybe they would have assisted the school by getting to the bottom of it. I think the school also are intervening with the family and home by making assumptions that the parents would not have handled the situation. 

As Americans we need to find a balance of when we should be getting involved and when we shouldn't be getting involved. Looking at the young student that was beat up in front of three security guards in Seattle, I wonder why those officials didn't get more involved and in comparison to this case the officials initiated their own investigation. If we could find the perfect balance, I guess we would all be in a better place.

Email Sasha
Follow Sasha on Twitter!