Quantcast

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Olympic Tragedy: David Loftus

I am happy to say I have never seen one second of this footage. I didn’t even know it existed until “American Currents” asked me to comment. I hope I never see it.

I don’t think the actual method of anyone’s dying deserves “full coverage.” What makes a death newsworthy is the mere fact that it has happened -- which can simply be stated verbally -- and its context: who the person was, what he or she was up to at the time, what sort of professional life the deceased led, what might have been expected of the person had his or her life not been cut short, etc., etc.

If the method of death involves questionable circumstances (possible homicide, design or on-site safety negligence, etc.), all that can again be described verbally. Seeing the actual process will rarely if ever tell the average person anything useful; the facts of the matter should be left to law enforcement, the medical examiner, a grand jury, or whatever other official body or investigative official can do the job properly. To dwell on the process of death itself is invasive of privacy (that of the victim and of his or her family) and just plain ghoulish.