Quantcast

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Tiger's Apology: Ryan John

I’m glad Tiger held the press conference the way he did without any room for questions and answers.  I can only imagine some of the ridiculously personal, “gossipy” questions that would be posed.  Surely they’d be irrelevant and only serve our tendency for the titillating details of a sexual affair to prove that he is a human being and not an athletic machine.   It frustrates me that Tiger is expected to speak publicly in such a formal way on a matter that is so very personal for his family.  I know he has commitments to corporations that sponsor him, but even those apologies could be done behind closed doors in a boardroom. 
 
I’m not a big fan of anyone speaking almost entirely off note cards in a rehearsed fashion.  It comes off robotic and insincere.  I much prefer addressing an issue like this from the heart, with maybe a little assistance from an outline to make sure you hit all the main points.  If he spoke openly and honestly, filling twelve minutes of time shouldn’t have been a problem for Woods.  Although I didn’t care for his delivery style, I agreed with the message.  The invasive paparazzi have no place involving themselves in Woods family and their findings will only instigate tabloid-esque conversations.  Although many people probably would watch and listen, it’s the kind of junk that only contaminants us.
 
Personally, I’m more of a private person and feel like celebrity personal issues are easily exploited for the sake of filling up empty air time on TV and radio.  Indeed the subject does produce salacious conversation; it gets too scandalous when you start revealing actual text messages and statements from his mistress for example.  I wouldn’t want that for me and my family if I were Woods.  Of course all the people who love to judge, will judge.  But in the end, I’m sure the main thing Tiger feels sorry about it is the hurt, disappointment and embarrassment he inflicted on his family.  For that, we are owed no apology.