Quantcast

Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Super Bowl Ads: Ryan John

Although my short bio on americancurrents.com describes me as someone who "likes sports," I have to admit that recently watching sports has become less and less of a priority.  Don't get me wrong, I'm the first one who wants to play any sport or any competitive, physical game, but I’m trying to watch less television in general. So, I never watch whole games, and I barely care enough anymore to do a score update.  Maybe I’m subconsciously jealous that these guys are my age making millions of dollars playing a game they love and watching them on TV only reminds me of that?  Could be.  Now, with that being said, I'm from Philadelphia so of course if the Eagles were in it I'd enthusiastically watch every play of the game.  I'd also have to concede to hoping on the bandwagon because I didn’t watch a full quarter of Eagles football this year either. 
 
So, the only obligation I felt to the Super Bowl this year was a very infrequent score update to satisfy my curiosity.  I tuned in the fourth quarter and kept the game muted while I watched a movie on the computer with my girlfriend, only glancing at the TV periodically.  I wanted to make sure I wasn’t missing the type of Super Bowl in 2008 where Eli Manning made that unbelievable toss to Tyree to get the first down and set them up for the TD win.  It’s that type of stuff I remember from the Super Bowl; not a commercial.  I didn’t pay any attention to the commercials and only today did I see the Tebow add for the first time. 
 
Honestly, I’m getting turned off by all the hype surrounding, not only the Super Bowl, but the commercials especially.  I’m sure if I watched the game, some commercials would get me to laugh and stick out in my head.  But, this year wasn’t a time when I cleared my schedule for “the big game.”  If I was off from work today and felt like drinking on a Sunday, I most likely would have picked a team to root for, went out, placed a small wager on the game, and had a good time watching it with my friends. But, I was in no rush to do that this year.  So, I remember seeing Doritos and Go Daddy ads a couple times, but nothing that's gonna make me run to YouTube for a replay.