Quantcast

Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Super Bowl Ads: Sasha Smith

There was certainly a common theme going on for the super-bowl commercials. The theme was hetero-sexism. As I was tweeting for the American Currents site last night, no one seemed to mention the obvious. I realized that the majority of the 106 million viewers might have been men but I refuse to believe that women were not at least 40% of the viewers. According to Nielsen, an additional 15 million viewers went online just to view the commercials. This also leads me to believe that those additional viewers are highly likely to be women and those who are not into football but want to see the famous Super-Bowl commercial ads.

Why is it still so funny to make fun of women or continue to play us in stereotypical roles? I'm going to get off my ranting and raving about how sexist the ads were but it's just part of my feminist duties here at American Currents.

So... moving on to best commercial. I would have to say one of my favorite commercials was the Etrade babies. They have been doing that series for a while but I absolutely love having the babies talk about business. It really makes me feel as though managing my money on Etrade is probably attainable even for someone like me. I also can't deny that the Doritos series of commercials were pretty cool. Of course, I was a little uncomfortable with the one with the Black woman as the single mom and wondering why we've never seen an Asian woman as a single mom but I'm going to have to let it go. I'm not in television marketing but if I was I would try to veer from the norm. I would most definitely stray away from negative stereotypes of Black women.

Onto flop of the night....Jay Leno, Oprah and David Letterman... what was that? I'm so confused and not sure why Oprah was brought into the mix. I guess as the queen of daytime she was trying to save the men of nighttime from arguing. Well that commercial was a flop for me. I have even less interest in Leno and Letterman drama after that ad. Actually, it seems like a fake now that they are cool enough to do an ad together.

The shocker of the night of course was the pro-life commercial with the Tebow family. I'm glad that we are having ads with social and political issues but of course it's not an issue that I support. All in all, the ads were pretty memorable if I can still recall them 48 hours after the game. Hopefully my Falcons or Patriots will be playing next year and than it will be even more  unforgettable.

Email Sasha
Follow Sasha on Twitter!