Quantcast

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Abolishing "Don't Ask Don't Tell": Scott Hinkley

I think it is an excellent decision to abolish the military's "don't ask don't tell" policy. Our founding fathers made a strong attempt to distance the influence of organized-religious morals on political policy, but it seems that it is only now, when a large enough portion of our population identifies with modern-rational morality, rather than morals dictated by magic and superstition, that we can begin to start overturning inequalities that have held throughout this country's history. I have never been one to understand the security-blanket of hatred and discrimination, so it is difficult for me to speak to the "valid" points of those who disagree with me, as I see no valid point in efforts to cloak fear and xenophobia in morality.

While this is only one of many loathsome policies against the principle and practice of homosexuality, I think that the issue of serving openly as yourself in the armed forces is a critical one. How can we convince those we invade that we will accept them for who they are, when we can't even accept some of those we are paying to carry-out the invasion? How can those soldier feel secure among their own ranks? I think we should keep the don't ask don't tell, but make it for biggots instead.

Email Scott